Saturday, January 4, 2014

I've hurt many insects...

I'm sorry I haven't updated this thang in a minute (few days). Matsuzawa left so I've been depressed. Jk. But he really did leave. At 5:00am yesterday. What are we gonna do without him? How are we going to keep calm whilst carrying on? What will motivate me to get my life together if not the click-clacking of his multicolored pen!? 
Speaking of that, he gave us all a multicolored pen before he left. See, I told you he ordered those things in bulk. Well, at least now I have one. "A souvenir," he said. 

Things are definitely different now that Matsu's gone. The employees seem to have reapplied their normal schedule... Which is kinda funny. 

So now, Cat is in charge! Cat and I split up today in order to have cameras in both observation locations. This meant I got lots of alone time in the woods. My mind felt calm. I stretched out on the mat that I had all to myself and began reading "Catching Fire," my fourth book of the trip. It was so wonderful hearing the birds' songs mix with the silence. 

And you're like- "What about the CHIMPS!?"
They didn't visit my watch post today. Those jokers are so unpredictable. It was cool being left alone to check the water, nuts, and stones today though. I was manning the camera and everything, alone! As if I were trusted with the task. :-) Neat. 
The chimpanzees here make up one solid group... However, they often break off into smaller groups that travel alone. Very often. We haven't seen all 9 chimps together at once yet! Usually, Fanle is with her two young boys, Flanle (the rock-thrower/trouble maker), and Fanwaa (the itty baby who is so sweet). These three are sometimes accompanied by Fanle's momma, Fana. Flanle is always throwing rocks at his grandmother, which I really just don't understand because what kind of respectable young man throws ROCKS at his GRANDMOTHER? It's incredibly rude. I have to really force myself not to spank that chimp. 
The older males, Jeje (alpha) and Foaf (ex-alpha) travel together like total bros. They are serious BFFs... Unless a female is in estrus... Then the guy-code is thrown out the window. This female is usually coaxed into following them. She's prolly so bored with them.
The oooooold ladies travel around all alone. We've only see them a few times. I'm left to wonder- Have they chosen to be on the periphery of their children's lives?... Or have they been pushed there? Idk, and I can't guess. 

Before Matsu left, Flanle got real brave and threw a rock at him. This may have been my favorite scene of all the observations. The rock landed 10 meters away from Matsu, so it wasn't dangerous... But I just really couldn't believe this bravery! Coming from such a young little guy! He stood on both his back legs, reared his rock-loaded fist back over his head, and LAUNCHED the fist-sized rock straight at Matsuzawa. TWICE. He went and picked up the rock to throw again! I've heard of primates throwing items underhanded... But this overhanded throw was new! Ha! HAHA! That freakin' punk! 

So now I will leave you with the notes I've taken throughout these past few days. I've needed to remember to tell you these things:

There is nothing more stunningly brilliant than putting fresh new batteries into one's headlamp. The world! I can see! No single manipulation is more refreshing or illuminating. (Except maybe cataract surgery?)

In Guinea, infant babies (human) are carried on their mother's backs with a single (sturdy) cloth. I don't get how it works. But they have full faith. I once saw a mother readjust her baby's carrying cloth. It was somewhat remarkable. And also it scared me. The mom simply leaned over, making her body into a 90 degree angle. She untied the cloth, leaving the infant wiggling freely on her back. <- that was the scary part. Then, she just tied the cloth in a knot around her belly. Just like I retie the cloth rope around my robe. No problem. 

I read a book while I was gone called "Orlanda." It was super. This is just a quote that I thought was hilarious. The main character said: 
"I am the most boring person imaginable and I have no means of avoiding my own company."

I know that some of you are wondering about this: No, I haven't seen any guinea pigs.

Want some pics of my house?? 
My room.


Our bathroom.



I dunno what I'm gonna do when I grow up. 
 But for now, I'm just gonna keep flicking these ants away.



1 comment: